Moving into a derelict building

April 14, 2012 by Bleiddyn Jones in forum Planning Forum

#199 Bleiddyn Jones, 14 April 2012, 06:58

I have in mind to purchase a derelict and abandoned building, live within the curtilege (very basic at first until the building is made wind and water tight)and restore it gradually with the same design that it originally had - no extension, etc. Do I need planning permission or even Building Regs to do this?

#208 graham alexander, 20 April 2012, 18:25


You certainly won't need planning permission for what you propose. In principle you should require building regs unless you are creating/widening openings.

#214 Bleiddyn Jones, 29 April 2012, 16:23

Many thanks, Graham. I do not understand your "unless". Do you mean providing wheelchair access? Is there any guide to how long a building may have been unused before it can be brought back into use?

Reply to topic

All HTML, except <i>, <b>, <u> will require your topic to be moderated before it is publicly displayed.

Your Name:
Your Email Address:

Your Email Address will not be made public.
Topic Content:

Return to topic list | Return to forum list

The Partner Directory

Click on the logos below to find more about the services offered

Advertise here