Replacing stables, barn, mobile home withing curtlage of cottage with bungalow for disabled

January 16, 2019 by Kathryn in forum Planning Forum

#615 Kathryn, 16 January 2019, 15:59

Hi, I wonder if anyone could advise please?

My husband and I live a small semi detached cottage on a large plot totalling approx 3\4acre within a small settlement in the countryside. We have one immediate neighbour to the side no properties at all either in front or behined. Our dwelling is no longer suitable for us as it is not disabled friendly and my husband had a spinal injury 5 1\2 years ago and is no longer able to climb stairs. The cottage is far too small to accommodate a wheelchair and I have mobility issues of my own.

Our property sits in approx 3\4 acre (1\2 acre of it is a paddock).
Outside we have a large wooden workshop/small barn with large apex roof which was used for storing our tractors, sprayers, harrows etc, stables and large dog kennels and small hay storage are which are now all connected to each om a large concrete hardstanding with footings. Water and electricity is connected to the outbuildings We also have and a mobile home connected to power water and drainage. There are two other wooden outbuildings one large and one small. Since my husbands injury we have been unable to maintain the outbuildings or manage with our living area.

We do not relish the idea of moving from the area and have wondered if we would be able to replace all of our outbuildings with a level access dwelling? If so, how would we best approach the planning?

Not only would a bungalow improve our living conditions, the removal of the outbuildings and replacing them with a dwelling would improve the overall outlook of our property and prevent the outbuildings from falling into a state of disrepair.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

#616 Kathryn, 16 January 2019, 16:05

# Apologies for poor spelling and grammar.

#626 Andy, 19 February 2019, 10:32

Have a look at Permitted Development rights for agricultural buildings, your outbuilding might qualify.

Planning portal states:

Agricultural buildings are permitted to change to C3 use (dwellinghouses) together with some building operations reasonably necessary to facilitate the conversion, subject to meeting certain criteria:

No more than five separate dwellinghouses can be developed under this Class.
Subject to this limit of five dwellinghouses, up to three can be ‘larger dwellinghouses’. (A larger single dwellinghouse is one with a floor space of more 100m2). No more than 465m2 of floor space can change use to ‘larger dwellinghouses’ under this class and no more than 465m2 of residential floor space is allowed in larger dwellinghouses.
Within the overall limit of five dwellinghouses, up to five can be ‘smaller dwellinghouses’. (Smaller dwellinghouses each have a floor space of no more than 100m2).

Let us know how you get on

Good luck

Reply to topic

All HTML, except <i>, <b>, <u> will require your topic to be moderated before it is publicly displayed.

Your Name:
Your Email Address:

Your Email Address will not be made public.
Topic Content:

Return to topic list | Return to forum list

The Partner Directory

Click on the logos below to find more about the services offered

Advertise here