Residential children's home planning

May 3, 2022 by Lee in forum Planning Forum

#1272 Lee, 3 May 2022, 09:23

Hello all,

I am planning to open a residential children's home in a rented property and I had a question about planning permissions. I have been told that if there are less than 6 people in the property at one time I can apply for a certificate of lawful use, which is fairly simple and takes around 10 weeks, however if there will be more than 6 people in the property I will need to apply for full planning permission which can take much longer. My question is, could I apply for the certificate of lawful use but then immediately apply for full planning? This would allow me to start the home on a smaller scale and then accept more young people once the full planning has gone through. Would there be any down sides to doing it this way?

Much appreciated,


#1274 Damian, 3 May 2022, 20:52

Who told you about the 6 person rule as that usually relates to HMO’s?

Reply to topic

All HTML, except <i>, <b>, <u> will require your topic to be moderated before it is publicly displayed.

Your Name:
Your Email Address:

Your Email Address will not be made public.
Topic Content:

Return to topic list | Return to forum list

The Partner Directory

Click on the logos below to find more about the services offered

Advertise here